The lockdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic has stretched over several weeks. Amongst the many businesses that have temporarily shut down, the closing of parlors, salons, and spas have hit us ladies differently. Of course, we are laughing at the many memes of how girls will emerge once the quarantine ends. However, the fear of turning into full-blown alpaca still haunts us. To alleviate this fear, we have some at-home beauty treatments that you can try without breaking into a sweat!
With just a couple of tools and equipment, you can enjoy a salon-like experience right in the comforts of your home! Let’s take a look at the at-home beauty treatments that are worth a shot.
5 DIY At-Home Beauty Treatments to Keep You Busy
Following are some at-home beauty treatments that will empower you to take your beauty routine in your own hands:
Give Yourself a Hair Cut (or a Trim)
We’re plump in the middle of summer, which essentially means that you are way overdue on your summer trim. To prevent a sweaty head or your tresses from weighing you down, you can give your hair a much-needed trim. A couple of hair clips, a pair of scissors, and a spray bottle are enough to get you snipping.
Considering that nobody will be seeing you for a good number of days, you can go as wild as you’d like. Feel free to let the creative juices flow. From trimming your split ends to giving yourself a completely new and edgy hairstyle – it’s literally in your hands.
Some Useful Tips:
If you don’t wish to end up in those “Haircut Fails” video, here are a few tips:
- Chop of less hair than you intend to cut. Dry hair appears shorter than wet hair, so keep this fact in mind. Further, having somewhat longer hair allows you to take a few additional inches off, but you cannot add length to your hair!
- Wet your hair before the haircut if you have straight hair. On the other hand, curly and wavy hair must be cut when dry.
- Rather than cutting your hair horizontally, pull your hair upwards and make straight, vertical cuts for an even look.
- Start by making small, minor cuts rather than straight-up butchering your hair.
- Section your hair into smaller portions so that they are manageable.
- Get a perfect feathered look by sectioning your hair, twisting it, and snipping it.
You may spend all your time relaxing and catching up on “me-time,” but how about taking it one step further and giving yourself a facial at home?
Yes! A relaxing facial is one of the best at-home beauty treatments to pamper yourself. Fortunately, you can make use of readily available ingredients around the kitchen to slap on a cooling face mask or to exfoliate your skin! Start by analyzing your skin type and researching on what treatment suits you best. After that, the process is rather standard. Cleanse, steam, exfoliate, mask, tone, and moisturize, and just like that, you will have radiant, glowing skin!
Some Useful Tips:
Treat yourself to a refreshing facial that will leave you looking good and feeling great. Do keep the following in mind:
- It is advisable to give yourself a facial only once a month. So avoid overdoing it. However, if you make use of all-natural ingredients, you may increase the frequency to maintain the health of your skin.
- Avoid touching your face. Also, after you have given yourself a facial, let your skin breathe for a couple of hours before you paint on any makeup.
- Prepare before you begin. The last thing you would want is to run around looking for ingredients with your facial half done.
- Try to set up a relaxing atmosphere for your facial session. Get into a relaxing position, dress comfortably, and turn on some calming music. Staying stress-free will make these at-home beauty treatments more effective and enjoyable.
- Carry out a patch test before applying any ingredient directly to your face. Also, if you experience any skin irritation or discomfort, rinse it off immediately.
- Consume a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables to maintain your healthy glow. Do not forget to drink lots of water, either.
Manicure and Pedicure
Those who are strictly particular about the appearance of their nails must be hyperventilating as their nail routine gets derailed. Between smudging, chipping, and warping, a lot can go wrong with your nails. However, never underestimate a highly determined woman!
It is not only easy to give yourself a manicure or pedicure treatment at home, but it is also purported to have therapeutic effects. So these at-home beauty treatments are not only good for your image but also great for your mental health! With just a little bit of practice and patience, you can enjoy enviable nails.
Once you figure out how to give yourself a mani-pedi at home, you would never want to burn your cash on a salon ever again!
Some Useful Tips:
Spoil your hands and feet with an at-home mani-pedi session. Here are some tips for getting Insta-worthy nails:
- Even if you have not applied any nail polish, start by cleaning your nails with a cotton ball dipped in nail polish remover. Follow it up by washing your hands or feet with soap and water. It will help you get rid of any oil, dirt, or debris on the surface.
- Soak your hands or feet in a warm bath to boost circulation. Pat dry your hands and feet and moisturize them before starting the treatment.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate your hands and feet. In fact, extend the exfoliation to your wrists, forearms, and ankles to get rid of any dead skin.
- If you wish to have a salon-like manicure or pedicure, then always use a base coat and a top coat for extra protection and smooth finishing.
- Always clean and sterilize your mani-pedi tools to prevent bacteria buildup or infection.
- Consult a doctor if you notice a nail infection or blackness on your nails.
Body Hair Removal
Removing body hair is one of the commonest at-home beauty treatments that women have already mastered. There are several ways through which you can remove body hair. So feel free to tailor your approach depending on the items available around your home.
If you have waxing strips and hot wax (or pre-applied wax strips, which are even more convenient), then you can rip off the hair through waxing. On the other hand, if you have an epilator, then you have a quicker (but painful) alternative. Finally, the easiest way to get rid of unwanted body hair is by shaving it off. It is quick, easy, and painless. Plus, a razor is all that you will need for it!
Some Useful Tips:
- Some skin types may react to hair removal techniques like shaving or waxing. So it is advisable to consider your skin type before trying out any method.
- The at-home hair removal process is simple – cleanse, exfoliate, remove hair, and moisturize.
- While shaving, remember to go with the grain, which is largely downward strokes. Plus, rinse the razor after every stroke.
- While waxing, cut the strips to enable them to fit into tough spots like between your brows and downy divot below the nose.
- Remember to hold your skin taut while shaving or waxing. Also, remember to work in small sections.
- You can combine egg whites, sugar, and cornflour to make a hair removal peel mask.
A relaxing spa-like massage is not just one of the many dream at-home beauty treatments but possibly the best way to pamper your body, mind, and soul. A massage is the best form of self-care. You will start noticing aches and kinks as you spend hours hunched over your computer while meeting your work from home targets. It could be an indication of knots and tension in your muscles.
Now is a good time as any to treat yourself to a massage. It relieves stress, gives you an energy boost, and relaxes your muscles. In turbulent times like these, what more would you want?
Some Useful Tips:
Once you learn the following self-massaging tips, you will have your personal masseuse with you wherever you go!
- A tennis ball is an excellent item to relieve tension in several parts of your body, starting from your neck to your feet. So keep a few handy.
- Gently massage your body and give it a good rub after exercise or extensive activities as it will boost muscle recovery.
- Massage an area not more than twice a day. Overdoing it may do more harm than good.
- Start by applying light pressure and work your way up until it is strong yet tolerable.
- Stretch out and relax your body before administering self-massage. It will make your body more receptive to the treatment.
- Gently knead and explore the areas in pain until you find the knots or areas where you feel sharp or intense pain. This region could be the epicenter of your pain.
The above at-home beauty treatments will not only keep you busy during quarantine but will also ensure that you step out of it feeling well-rested, youthful, and energized. So, what are you waiting for? Go ahead and try them all today!